For the pickled chicken hearts:
- 1 cup chicken heart
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- 2 tsp pickling spice
- 1 clove garlic
For the crickets
- Approx 40 crickets, 5 weeks old (get from a pet store)
- Smoked salt
- Cayenne Pepper
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the dressing/salad
- 3 cups chopped chard, packed tightly
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tsp olive oil
Begin preparation for the chicken hearts a week prior.
- Boil chicken hearts for 15 minutes until fully cooked. Strain.
- Place the chicken hearts in a jar with all other ingredients. Cover the jar.
- Place the jar in a pot of boiling water and boil for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool on a towel, then put back in the fridge.
- If the crickets are alive, spray some water in their bag, seal tightly, and place the whole bag in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Remove crickets from the bag and place them directly on a roasting tray. Drizzle with olive oil, season with the seasonings, and toss together.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400F.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- While waiting for the crickets to cool, place chard in your salad bowl with your chicken hearts.
- Smash together the raspberries with a mortar and pestle until a paste has been made. Pour the paste into a small bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients and whisk together the salad dressing. take care not to overdo it on the olive oil, a little bit goes a long way.
- Splash your salad dressing over the chard and hearts, as if it is spatters of blood.
- Top with cricket croutons. Serve.