- 6-8 Caps of Shaggy Mane (Coprinus comatus) mushrooms
- Handful of chopped onions
- Pesto (Basil, Garlic, Pine Nuts, Parmesan Cheese, Olive Oil)
- Pasta or Gnocci
- White Wine (Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc are good)
- Salt and Pepper
[separator top=”40″ style=”dotted”]
Shaggy Manes will absorb moisture, so don’t rinse them off. Instead, scrape off the outside layer with a knife.
- Chop and dry-fry the mushrooms.
To dry-fry mushrooms, heat the mushrooms in a pan with NO oil/butter for about 2-3 minutes, until all the juices have come out of the mushrooms. Then pour off the juice to use later in the dish (or use as the base for other soups/sauces).
- After dry frying, add a bit of butter and fry up the onions with the mushrooms and a few oz of white wine, just long enough to get the flavour of the onions and the wine mixed with the mushrooms.
- Toss the pasta/gnocci with the pesto and the mushroom juice, S&P, and mix in the mushrooms and onions.
Enjoy with a glass of red or white wine. Serves 1-2 people.